Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Selwyn Street Projects

The Pergola

The backyard in Selwyn Street was very unkempt when we moved in. The grass was not grass but a carpet of the world's most determined weeds and we had plans to either turf the yard, put in a pool. convert to garden with meandering pathways or build another house and rent it out. We didn't think of a pergola until Steve Nutt said he was pulling one down from an investment property he was revamping. So I pulled the pergola down and, after some reflection erected this in the backyard which looks nothing like its old self. I basically made it bigger and added the trim (cornices, sunrise in the eves-very federation style, finials and the small rail around the top plate).







 

Kitchen Stools

Made from Camphor Laurell





 



Clothes Hamper

Radiata Pine stained Walnut with a wax finish. This design was influenced by the Indian cupboard we bought that is also in the bathroom.




 

 

 Chevall Mirror

This mirror is a year 11 Industrial Tech project that made so I new what I was teaching. It is Radiata Pine with a Golden Oak stain. You will notice the use of Golden Oak in my other pieces. The finish is shellac but I might practice some french polish. It is currently sitting on the chest of drawers in our bedroom which we will be replacing with some tall boys, my current project soon to appear in this blog.


2 comments:

  1. Can I put in an order for a set of stools and a clothes hamper thanks!!! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good blog and such a clever father I have will be putting my order un for the same ones em mentioned so good

    ReplyDelete