Sunday, February 10, 2013

Some Early Works



Coffee Table

Basically my first project. This was a 2nd or 3rd year Uni project where I had to design and make an item of furniture. My first introduction to design. It was made from some lovely pieces of Tasmanian Blackwood that the Uni workshop assistant had stashed away. Unfortunately I invented my own joints for the rails (best description is a stub mortise & tenon with no shoulders or a double bareface M&T with both faces bare) a bit of a disaster really as it did loosen up over the years. I have recently restored this now antique item. It is over 30 years old after all. I cut the legs down a bit too.

Jewellery Box

 

Another Uni project. This jewellery box was made from Meranti. It was lovingly carved on the sides and top by yours truly. The carvings at the top is a scotch thistle motif and had been stained with food dyes which have since faded.
 

Small Trinket Box

This little fella came about simply because I was playing around with some Camphor Laural and I wanted to show some students what this timber was like. I grabbed this bit of timber and left the bark on. A bit of fun.
  

Yellow Box Burl Bowl


This burl was cut from a yellow box tree from the Corowa district. I found it when I was out cutting firewood for winter. It is an unfinished idea as it still has bark on it which I would like to remove and I also want to make the sides thinner and more uniform and give it more of an organic look. The top is too flat.

Round Side Table

Another experiment from the Corowa or maybe Bulahdelah days. This table is Radiata Pine with a Golden Oak stain. I must have been obsessed with this stain as I have used it on other furniture. It is far too yellow for my liking now. The top was turned on the lathe using a left hand threaded faceplate so I could attach it to the outside of the headstock (the lathe bed prohibits large turning as most lathes have a throat allowing about 250mm radius). Can't remember what I used for a tool rest.

Chess Board

 
This chess board is made using Tiger Myrtle and Huon Pine. Not clever or patient enough to make the pieces but if you are a chess player you may recognise the placement of the pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I like the burl bowl like it is.. And the coffee table sure is an antique.. It's so you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. true that about the coffee table will be an heirloom and yeh whats wrong with the bowl? I dont see it with the chess pieces?

    ReplyDelete